Welcome to Prineville-Crook County! We have a ton to offer our visitors and we hope that you stay awhile and take in the sights. Below are just a few of the fun things for visitors and locals alike to do!
Thanks to our Crook County Parks & Recreation District, our community enjoys over 9 public parks, as well as a seasonal public swimming pool, skating rink, youth angling pond, ball fields, and an RV park! When you are in the area, feel free to stop by and take advantage of our lovely town parks:
– Crooked River Park and Crooked River Dog Park
– Gary A. Ward Park
– Harwood Park
– Gervais Park
– Mini Park
– Ochoco Creek Park
– Pioneer Park
– Rimrock Park and Youth Angling Pond and Rimrock Dog Park
– Stryker Park
– Yellowpine Park
Prineville and Crook County have been graced with a number of great reservoirs, rivers and creeks to be enjoyed year-round for such things as rafting, boating, fishing, and swimming! Listed below are a few of our favorite county water features:
Being in the high desert and nestled up to the Ochoco Mountain Range, our community surround by an amazing amount of beautiful geologic wonders and curiosities. There is no way for us to list out all the incredible things to do here, but below is a list to get you started. Whether you are looking to hike, camp, rockhound, or to simply see the sites, there is something for everyone!
– Rockhounding: The Prineville-Crook County Chamber of Commerce, BLM office, and Bowman Museum all carry the Central Oregon Rockhound Map for purchase.
As well, every year during the 4th weekend of June, Prineville is home to the Prineville Rockhound Pow Wow!
– Fossils: With our close proximity to the John Day Fossil Beds, we are just a hop, skip, and jump away from some of the coolest fossils sites in all of Oregon!
– The Painted Hills
– Steins Pillar
– Chimney Rock (PDF)
– Big Summit Prairie
– Smith Rock
– Camping (PDF)/ Camping
In addition to our wonderful natural resources right our back door, our community is graced with great in-town amenities!
– Golfing: Crook County has three golf courses: Meadow Lakes Golf Course and Restaurant, Prineville Golf Club, and the course at Brasada Ranch.
– Places to Shop (PDF)
– Walking Map (PDF)
– Bowman Museum
– Crook County Library
– City of Prineville Railway
– Prineville Airport
While your are here, and if you have the time, please take the time to visit our outlying communities. They are small, but full of life and make our County complete!