Hiking Biking & Riding
If you are looking for outdoor activities in incredible country, try some of these day trips. Whether you bring your horse, bike or hiking shoes, you are in for a treat. The Ochoco National Forest provides excellent opportunities to get away from it all. Steeped in history, these trails lead one to wander among graceful old ponderosa pines, old mines, and ancient volcano leavings. The beauty of the surroundings is matched by opportunities to capture glimpses of wildlife. If you like your “country in comfort,” try the driving suggestions to nearby special designations: Cove Palisades State Park for Indian petroglyphs, Smith Rock for rock climber watching, Big Summit Prairie for wild flowers, or selected sites in the Ochoco National Forest.
Nearby Special Destinations
- Scissorsville.Ochoco National Forest, Big Summit Ranger District.
- Tower Point Lookout.Ochoco National Forest, Big Summit Ranger District.
- Wildflowers of Big Summit Prairie.Ochoco National Forest, Big Summit Ranger District.
- Wolf Mountain Lookout.Ochoco National Forest, Paulina District.
- Smith Rock at Terrebonne, Oregon.541-548-7501. Smith Rock State Park is an internationally known destination for rock climbers.
- The Cove Palisades State Park.Crooked River National Grassland.
For more info, visit
#801 Ponderosa Loop.Ochoco National Forest, Big Summit Ranger District.
- State sno-park permit required Nov. 15 through Mar. 30.
- Bring water. Do not explore the mines or old buildings. Structures are hazardous due to age.
#808 Independent Mine.Ochoco National Forest, Big Summit Ranger District.